Hair loss can cause a huge amount of anxiety. Thanks to the availability of new treatments such as Propecia, hair loss is no longer something that men simply have to accept as part of the aging process.
Pharma.MyonlineDoctor can provide you with an online prescription for hair loss medication Propecia following an online consultation with our GMC and EU-registered doctors.
What is it?
Propecia is a hair loss treatment which contains the active ingredient finisteride. It is for use by men only, to treat male pattern hair loss and prevent further hair loss.
How does it work?
Propecia works by affecting the conversion of testosterone to DHT, a chemical naturally occurring in the male scalp. When the level of DHT goes above a certain level some of the hair follicles will fall out. As long as the patient is taking Propecia the level of DHT remains reduced and the hair loss will be reduced or stopped.
Clinical studies on Propecia indicated good results for the majority of men who took it with 1 in 3 reporting no further hair loss.
Main points to consider
- You must take Propecia daily for four months or more before you see a benefit and up to 1-2 years for full hair growth.
- Propecia only works over the long term so you must continue taking it to keep the benefits.
- It is generally well tolerated but side effects to watch out for include; erection difficulties, decreased amount of semen released during sex (this decrease does not appear to interfere with normal sexual function), breast swelling and/or tenderness, skin rash, itchiness, testicle pain, swelling of the lips or face
- Propecia should never be taken or even handled by a woman or a child as it can be absorbed through the skin.
- Propecia is not available on the NHS and can only be purchased with a private prescription from a doctor.
For further Information please read the Patient Information Leaflet carefully
About Hair Loss
It is normal to shed some hair each day as part of the natural cycle of hair growth and loss. However, some people may experience excessive hair loss. Hair loss of this type can affect men, women and children due to factors such as stress, anaemia, some prescribed medicines or fungal scalp infection. Pharma Myonline Doctor will only provide prescription hair loss treatment for a type of hair loss known as Male Pattern Baldness.
As the name suggests, Male Pattern Baldness is a type of hair loss which follows a distinctive pattern. Generally, a little thinning of the hair may be noticeable first from the temples and the crown of the head, followed by wider hair loss allowing more of the scalp to become visible. This may happen to some men as early as the later teenage years, but for most it happens in their late 20s and early 30s.
Male pattern baldness tends to be an inherited condition. It is caused due to an excess of a chemical called dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, which causes the hair follicles to make thinner and thinner hair until they eventually pack up completely and fall out.